Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I've been on this road for a long time

I've started work on the Free Spirit Amigurumi Doll. After doing a few rounds of her head I thought that I should get the eyes taken care of so I'm not tempted to finish the head without them. The pattern uses normal safety eyes in front of a crocheted white. The white is made out of pearl cotton and I had no idea what that was. After some Googling I decided to try DMC floss. That was dumb. The floss is multiple threads and they aren't wound. I used a steel (tiny) hook. I managed to get one done before my mother gave me her pearl cotton. By then I was too tired to try using it.

I don't have the right safety eyes for this. All I have are green cat eyes. Which I'm not opposed to using. I don't want to get a pack of eyes in blue. Ew. I'd rather use something weird. I've seen some really pretty ones on Etsy but I'd like to make this doll sooner rather than later. I'm hoping there will be eyes at Stitches but don't really think there will be since amigurumi is mostly a crochet thing and the shower caters to knitters. Maybe I'll be surprised. There are more books on knitted amigurumi so maybe there will be eyes. But that's still longer than I want to wait.

The doll doesn't use a lot of yarn so I can make a weird cat-eyed girl and make a more normal one later. I want purple eyes so the next doll may not be that normal. Now I'm looking at my purple camouflage yarn and thinking it'd make good hair. Poor dolls.

0 comments:

Post a Comment